- 900 grams chicken on the bone, skinless cut into medium pieces
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For Xacuti Spice Blend:
- 120 gms freshly grated coconut or desiccated coconut
- 10 dry red chillies
- 1” cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 4 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 1 tablespoon white poppy seeds
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 medium onions finely sliced
- ½ tsp nutmeg powder
- 2 tsp tamarind paste
- 1 cup water/chicken broth
- Marinate the chicken pieces with turmeric powder, oil and salt.
- Keep aside for at least 20 minutes.
Xacuti Splend Mix:
- Roast the dry spices. Remove.
- Dry roast grated coconut until lightly browned.
- Grind the spices and coconut together. Keep aside.
Preparing the Curry:
- In a pan, add oil and sliced onions. Saute well.
- Add the spice paste and cook for about a minute.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces and cover and cook for a couple of minutes. Do not add water, let the chicken cook in its moisture.
- Add tamarind pulp, and chicken broth or water. Mix well.
- Bring it to a boil and cover and cook till the chicken is cooked through.
- The heat is in medium low and it will take about 25 minutes to get the required consistency for the gravy and the chicken to cook just right.
- Stir in some coriander leaves.
- Serve with steamed rice or pav.