- 1 litre skimmed milk
- 1 cup Vermicelli/Semiya
- 10 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 tablespoons of Tapioca pearls/Sabudana/Chaowari
- Cashews and Raisins, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- In a hot pan, add ghee. Roast cashews and remove.
- Roast raisins and remove.
- In the same pan, roast vermicelli until light golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
- To the same pan, add milk. Keep the heat to medium low and allow the milk to boil. Keep stirring so that the milk doesn't stick to the pan.
- Meanwhile, cook tapioca pearls in a cup of water in a pressure cooker until a whistle is blown.
- Add the roasted vermicelli and let it cook and turn soft. Do not forget to stir in between. This would take about 8-10 minutes depending on the thickness of the vermicelli.
- Add cardamon pods and cooked tapioca pearls. Simmer for a couple of minutes more.
- Remove from heat. Keep aside for about 30 minutes so that the Payasam thickens a bit more.
- Garnish with roasted cashews and raisins.
- Serve warm or chilled.
If you are using full fat milk, add 250ml of water. You can also use roast vermicelli which is available in the market. Adding Tapioca pearls/Sabudana is optional. The payasam is allowed to rest for 30 minutes to an hour so that it thickens and gets to a creamier consistency.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Kerala