Laughing balls are deep fried cookies rolled in sesame seeds. They are golden in color and are crunchy on the outside and pillowy soft on the inside. They are ridiculously addictive, super easy to make and can be even stored in airtight containers for up to a week.
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Salt, a pinch
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/2 egg
- 1 cup white sesame seeds
- A cup of water
- Oil for deep frying
- Sift together the cake flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Dissolve sugar and hot water. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg. Set aside.
- Add the sugar mixture and whisked egg to the cake mixture. Knead well adding 2-3 tbsp of oil to a soft dough. It shouldn’t be sticky. Set aside for about 30 minutes.
- Spread sesame seeds on a plate and keep a cup of water aside.
- Make equal sized balls out of the dough.
- Dip your fingers in water and lightly moisten the balls before rolling on the sesame seeds. This will ensure the seeds stick onto the balls.
- Heat oil in a small pot. Slide 5-6 sesame balls into the oil and deep fry. Cook for about 3-4 minutes till it floats up and cracks open naturally. The sides will be evenly browned now.
- Remove and set aside on paper towels. Once cooled, they will be crispy.
- Best when fresh but you can store up to a week.
- Category: Cookies
- Cuisine: Chinese