Unniyappam is a crispy sweet snack made of ripe bananas, rice and wheat flour, melted jaggery and coconut bits.
- 1 cup Rice four
- 1/2 cup Wheat flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 3 small ripe Bananas
- 150gms Jaggery melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp Cardamom, powdered
- 1 tsp Sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp Coconut bits
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Water, as required to form the batter
- Oil, to fry
- Blend the bananas to form a lump-free paste.
- Sift together rice flour, wheat flour, and baking powder.
- In 1/4 cup water, melt the jaggery and filter out the impurities. Add it to the flour mixture along with blended bananas.
- Fry coconut bits and sesame seeds in a little ghee. Add it to the above mixture along with powdered cardamom. Mix well.
- Add just enough water to form an idli batter consistency. Keep aside for about 15-20 minutes.
- Heat the Unniyappam mould. Pour oil/ghee into it.
- Add a ladleful of batter to each mould. Keep the flame to low and once browned turn to the other side to cook.
- Remove and Serve. You can store it upto two days.
- Category: Appetizers & Snacks, Kerala, Onam
- Cuisine: Kerala