Carrot Thoran is an everyday side for lunch in Kerala cuisine and also one of the main dishes served in Onam Sadya.
- 3 medium-sized Carrots, grated (or cubed)
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 2–3 Dry red chilies
- 4–5 Shallots, finely sliced
- 2–3 Green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chili flakes
- Salt, to taste
- To make Carrot Thoran, grate about three medium-sized carrots and keep aside.
- Heat a pan and add coconut oil.
- Add mustard and when it splutters, add urad dal.
- Add dry red chilies and finely sliced shallots.
- Saute and add green chilies and curry leaves. Mix well.
- To this add grated coconut, red chili powder, cumin powder, and red chili flakes to combine well.
- Add grated carrots and season with some salt.
- Mix again and cook covered for about five minutes in low flame. Cook for only two to three minutes if you like crispy carrots. That’s it!
- Category: Uncategorized
- Cuisine: Kerala