Pan fried fish steaks simmered in a tomato-based curry scented with mustard oil.
- Fish steaks – 6
- Turmeric powder – 3/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Tomatoes – medium, 3
- Garlic cloves – 4
- Green chilies – 5′
- Powdered Mustard seeds – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Mustard oil – 5 tbsp
- Nigella seeds or kalonji – 1 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves – chopped, for garnish
- Marinate the fish steaks with little turmeric powder and salt. Keep aside.
- Powder yellow mustard seeds to yield the required amount for curry as per recipe.
- Blend tomatoes, garlic, 3 green chilies, powdered mustard, salt and half cup of water to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan until smoking hot. Remove from fire for 30sec and then keep back.
- Add nigella seeds and let it sizzle for about 10 sec. Add the tomato-mustard-chilli paste.
- Cook until the excess water is evaporated and oil is released. This would take about 10 mins.
- Reduce heat and cook for anouther couple of minutes until it darkens a little.
- Add one and half cups of water, mix well and bring to a boil. Simmer for about ten minutes.
- Pan fry the marinated fish steaks in mustard oil until golden brown.
- Add the fish to the mustard sauce and cook for a couple of minutes more.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice.
- Serving Size: 3