Spicy, flavorful, aromatic and definitely mouth-watering Kerala Style Mango Pickle is ridiculously easy to prepare. Sour raw mangoes and gingelly oil are the main ingredients that give the pickle its unique flavor.
- 1 large raw mango, diced small (It will come to 2 cups)
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 4 tbsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek powder
- 1/4 cup gingelly oil/ sesame oil/ til ka thel
- Salt, to taste
- Add salt and 1/4tsp asafoetida to the chopped raw mango. Mix well and set aside for 6 hours or overnight.
- Next day, heat gingelly oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add ginger, garlic, green chilies and curry leaves. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Keep the flame in low and add red chili powder, turmeric powder, fenugreek powder and the remaining asafoetida. Mix well and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from flame and add to the ‘marinated’ mango. Mix well.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in a refrigerated upto a week.
You can add a few tbsp of vinegar while sauteing the spice powders. Also add half a cup of water and let it boil. Adding this would extend the shelf life of the pickle.
Leave the skin on so that the mangoes remain crisp and not soggy.
- Category: Pickles
- Cuisine: Indian/Kerala