These snake breadsticks are easy to make and are crunchy and crispy with a wee bit of spice. It makes for a perfect appetizer, teatime snack, and you may also serve it with a bowl of soup.
- 1 cup of All-purpose flour (maida)
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 2 tbsp unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 20 gms Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup Ice-cold water, + 2 tbsp
- 32 black sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together (except sesame seeds) to form a coarse, sand-like mixture.
- Add 1/4 cup of ice-cold water and form a smooth yet firm dough. You may add an additional two more tablespoons to get the right texture.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal parts.
- Make balls out of the equal-sized portions.
- Roll each ball into a long rope with the palm of your hands. One end should be thick for the snakes head and the rope should taper towards the other end for the tail of the snake.
- Press and flatten the thicker end slightly and shape the snake’s head.
- Add two black sesame seeds to resemble the snake’s eyes. Press well, else the eyes shall fall off after baking.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for about 20-22 minutes.
- Serve with soup, or as a party appetizer or teatime snack.
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: Makes 16