Cheesy Chicken Quesadilla is slightly crispy, warm tortillas filled with spicy chicken, tons of cheese, a pico de gallo, sriracha sauce, and mayo.
For cooking chicken:
1 tsp Paprika or Red Chili powder
1/2 tsp Pepper powder
2 tbsp Oil
For Pico de Gallo:
1 Tomato, finely chopped
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 or 2 Jalapeno pepper, deseeded and chopped
1/8 cup Cilantro (Coriander) leaves, finely chopped
2 tbsp Lime juice
1 Garlic minced
1 cup Mozarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
4–5 tbsp Sriracha sauce
2–3 tbsp Mayo
3 tsp Butter
3 Cheese slices, optional
- If you are using leftover rotisserie chicken, skip this step. Marinate chicken pieces with paprika, salt, and pepper. Heat oil in a pan and add the chicken. Fry both sides until cooked through. Remove and keep aside.
- Shred the cooked chicken and keep aside.
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients for Pico de Gallo. Mix and keep aside. As an alternative, add garlic and onions into the same pan/oil where the chicken was cooked. Slightly cook and add tomatoes and jalapenos. Cook for a couple of minutes and keep aside.
- To assemble, the quesadilla, heat a tsp of butter in a pan or griddle in low heat. Place a tortilla.
There are two ways that you can assemble a quesadilla. Adding filling in a tortilla and placing a second tortilla over it to cover. Or assembling the filling only to one half of the tortilla and folding the tortilla into half. We are following the second method.
- Spread sriracha sauce. Place a cheese slice on one half of the tortilla. Over it, add cooked onion-tomato mixture or the Pico de Gallo. Add shredded chicken and mayo.
- Shred mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese.
- Fold the tortilla in half. Cook for a couple of minutes until the cheese melts.
- Flip the quesadilla gently and leave it in the pan for a minute more.
- Remove to a plate.
- Slice into two and serve with sour cream or mayo.
- Keep all the ingredients handy, in one place, so that the assembling is easier.
- You can use leftover rotisserie chicken for this recipe. If you want to make it from scratch, you can either use boiled chicken and pan-fried chicken (as mentioned in the instructions).
- Always use freshly shredded cheese than using store-bought already shredded cheese. It makes the world of a difference. I buy a block of my favorite cheese, in this case, mozzarella and cheddar, and shred them by hand.
- You may omit or include any variety of cheese you want.
- The addition of sriracha sauce makes this dish on the spicy side. You may substitute sriracha sauce with tomato ketchup, pizza sauce, or marinara sauce or adjust the quantity according to your taste.
- If you are looking for a vegetarian option, substitute chicken with tofu, potato, or paneer.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Cheesy Chicken Quesadilla, Easy Chicken Quesadilla recipe