15 min healthy, low-carb, keto-friendly, gluten-free Air Fryer Tandoori Chicken are juicy and tender chicken pieces that are marinated in a spiced yogurt marinade and chargrilled to perfection.
8 whole Chicken legs (with thighs)
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 3/4 cup Hung curd
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp Paprika
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp Dry mango powder (Aamchur)
- 2 tbsp Dry Fenugreek Leaves (Kasturi Methi)
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Make gashes on the chicken legs.
- Add the ingredients of the first marinade- ginger garlic paste, lemon juice, and salt to the drumsticks and combine well. Set aside for at least 15-30 minutes.
- Add the ingredients of the second marinade- hung curd, Kashmiri red chili powder, paprika, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, dry mango powder, Kasturi methi, and oil to the chicken pieces. Mix well and keep aside for at least 5-6 hours to overnight.
- Preheat the air fryer to 200 C (or 390 F) for 5 minutes.
- Once ready, pull the air fryer basket and add the marinated chicken in air fryer. Do not overcrowd. Fry in batches.
- After about 10 minutes, pull the air fryer basket again and flip the chicken pieces. Cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Serve hot with Mint chutney, lemon wedges, and onion rings.
- Making gashes on the chicken pieces helps the marinade can reach deep inside the meat.
- You may use Greek Yogurt instead of hung curd for this recipe.
- Kashmiri Chili and paprika bring the desired vibrant red color to the dish. These chili powders are only mildly spicy. You may use only Kashmiri chili powder too.
- For a spicier Tandoori Chicken, add half-half of regular red chili powder and Kashmiri chicli powder.
- You may choose to skip adding any oil to the recipe while preparing tandoori chicken in an air fryer. The chicken will still be soft and juicy. I added a tablespoon of mustard oil for its pungent flavor and for a glossy texture on the drumsticks. You may also use any vegetable oil of your choice if you choose to.
- The cooking time may vary based on the air fryer brand that you use and the size of the chicken pieces.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: air fryer tandoori chicken, air fryer indian recipes, marinated chicken in air fryer