Kerala Style Avial or Sadya Aviyal is a traditional mixed vegetable curry that is one of the important dishes in Kerala Sadya.
- 1/8 cup Elephant Yam (ചേന)
- 10–12 Shallots (ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി)
- 1/8 cup Taro Root or Colocasia (ചേമ്പ്)
- 1/8 cup Snake Gourd (പടവലങ്ങാ)
- 1/8 cup Yellow Cucumber (വെള്ളരിക്ക)
- 1 small Raw Plantain or Raw Green Banana (ഏത്തക്കായ)
- 1 small Carrot (കാരറ്റ്)
- 4–5 Beans (ബീൻസ്)
- 2 Drumsticks (മുരിങ്ങക്കായ)
- Tamarind (പുളി) or Curd.
- 1 cup Grated Coconut
- 1 tsp Cumin (ജീരകം)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili powder
- 3+ 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 3–4 Green Chilies
- Curry leaves
- 1 cup Water
- To make Kerala Style Avial, first, wash and clean prep the vegetables. Chop the veggies lengthwise approximately 2 inches long. Do not peel the drumsticks. Instead, scrape and discard the outer skin.
- Make half-slit on the beans and on drumsticks if they are on the thick side. Slice the shallots.
- Coarsely grind grated coconut, cumin, green chilies, and curry leaves in a mixer-blender. Do not add water. Keep aside.
- Soak Tamarind in hot water and keep aside.
- Since each veggie has different cooking times, let’s start by cooking them separately. In a bowl, pour a cup of water. Add yam and season with salt, a pinch of turmeric powder, and a few springs of curry leaves. Cook until 3/4th done and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a wide pan/kadhai/clap pot and add 3 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Add sliced shallots and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add all the veggies except taro and the cooked yam. Combine well and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add about 3/4th cup of water. Cover and cook until half-done.
- Add taro and mix well. Cover and cook for a couple of minutes more.
- Add the cooked yam, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and season with salt. Combine gently.
- Pulp the tamarind and add it to the vegetables.
- Add the coarsely ground coconut mixture. Cover and cook for a few minutes.
- Mix gently and add a tablespoon of coconut oil to finish off.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and accompaniments.
- Category: Side
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Kerala
Keywords: kerala style avial recipe, avial vegetable cutting, sadya aviyal recipe, simple avial recipe, best avial recipe, avial ingredients