Goan Xec Xec is a scrumptious and beloved Goan Crab Curry made by simmering crabs in a roasted spice coconut paste-based curry. You may substitute crabs with prawns and that’s what I have done for this recipe.
- 300 gms Prawns, medium-sized
- 2–3 Green Chilies
- 1 Onion, medium, finely chopped
- 2–3 tbsp Oil
- Coriander leaves, for garnish
- 200gms Freshly Grated Coconut
- 3–4 Kashmiri Red Chilies
- 2 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 4 Cloves
- 8 Peppercorns
- 1” inch Ginger, roughly chopped
- 4–5 Garlic cloves
- To make Xec Xec Curry, wash, clean, and devein the prawns. Sprinkle a little salt to the prawns and set them aside.
- Roast grated coconut, dry red chilies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, and peppercorns for about two minutes in medium heat. Do not roast them for long or in high heat as the spices will get burnt and would turn bitter.
- Transfer to a plate and let it cool down completely.
- Add ginger and garlic to the roasted coconut and spices and grind them to a coarse paste. You may use up to half a cup of water too for grinding.
- To the pan, add oil and saute the onions.
- Once slightly browned, add green chilies, tamarind pulp, and the ground paste. Combine well. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add a cup of water and bring to a boil. Check for seasoning.
- Add the prawns and mix well. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the prawns are cooked through and the gravy turns thick.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Category: Curry
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Goan Xec Xec, Prawn Xec Xec, Goan Prawn Curry