Goan Xec Xec is a scrumptious and beloved Goan Crab Curry made by simmering crabs in a roasted spice coconut paste based curry. You may substitute crabs with prawns and that’s what I have done for this recipe.
Goan Xec Xec (pronounced Shek Shek) is a fragrant and delicious curry that is close to a Goan’s heart. The roasted spices and coconut paste is what makes this dish stand out and when combined with seafood it simply takes this dish to another level.
Seafood is aplenty in Goa, of course because its coastlines stretch along the Arabian Sea. Thanks to the numerous backwaters, lagoons, and beaches, Kerala too is blessed with seafood delicacies like prawns, squids, lobsters, crabs, and mussels.
Today I had some fresh prawns in hand and decided to adapt the Goan Crab Xec Xec Curry with prawns which is not unusual because Prawns Xec Xec is widely available in Goa too.
Goan Xec Xec Curry is
- flavorful and scrumptious
- rich and delicious
- perfect with fragrant basmati rice or Indian flatbreads
- main protein can be substituted with prawns or chicken
Goan Xec Xec Curry Ingredients:
The base curry is made by roasting spices and fresh coconut which is then ground to a coarse paste. This coconut paste is then added to sauteed onions and the protein is simmered in this gravy until cooked. Crabs are usually added to the Xec Xec curry. But you can substitute it with prawns, shrimps, squids, or chicken.
- Crabs: If you are using crabs, opt for fresh crabs. Opt for heavy crabs which have more meat. Crab meat is a good source of Omega-3 and protein and has zero carbs.
Prawns: Use medium-sized or tiger prawns as a substitute.
- Coconut: Freshly grated coconut is preferred for this recipe. You may resort to desiccated coconut as the last option.
- Spices: Kashmiri Red Chilies, Coriander Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Cloves, Peppercorns are lightly roasted along with coconut. The kitchen will be filled with aroma in no time!
- Tamarind Pulp: Tamarind pulp adds the perfect sourness and brings balance to the dish.
- Others: We also add ginger and garlic to the roasted coconut and spices while grinding.
How to Make Goan Xec Xec with Prawns
- To make Xec Xec Curry, wash, clean, and devein the prawns. Sprinkle a little salt to the prawns and set them aside.
- Roast grated coconut, dry red chilies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, and peppercorns for about two minutes in medium heat. Do not roast them for long or in high heat as the spices will get burnt and would turn bitter.
- Transfer to a plate and let it cool down completely.
- Add ginger and garlic to the roasted coconut and spices and grind them to a coarse paste. You may use up to half a cup of water too for grinding.
- To the pan, add oil and saute the onions.
- Once slightly browned, add green chilies, tamarind pulp, and the ground paste. Combine well. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add a cup of water and bring to a boil. Check for seasoning.
- Add the prawns and mix well. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the prawns are cooked through and the gravy turns thick.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Goan Xec Xec Curry Recipe:Print
✨Try these out next! ✨
Like this recipe? Pin it!
I’m participating in #AtoZChallenge and #BlogchatterAtoZ where I’ll be sharing 26 Easy Recipes with you this April. I’m dedicating the posts to the amazing community members who helped me figure out this theme for the challenge. Thank you!