Kerala Style Green Apple Pickle made with fresh Granny Smith or Green Apples and seasoned with mustard, fenugreek, asafoetida, and spice powders.
- 4 Granny Smith Apples or Green Apples
- 1/2 cup Gingelly or Sesame Oil (നല്ലെണ്ണ)
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 4 tsp Garlic, sliced
- 5 Green Chilies, chopped
- Curry leaves
- 3 tbsp Kashmiri Red Chili powder
- 2 tsp Red Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Fenugreek (ഉലുവ) powder
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida (കായം) powder
- 3 tbsp Vingegar
- Salt, to taste
- To make Green Apple Achar, wash and pat dry green apples.
- Core and chop the apples into small bits, about 1 cm. Do not remove the skin. Add salt and keep aside for about 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add sliced garlic, green chilies, and curry leaves. Saute till golden brown.
- Lower the heat and add spice powders - Kashmiri red chili powder, Red chili powder, Turmeric powder, and Fenugreek powder. Mix well.
- Add Asafoetida and vinegar. Mix and bring to a boil.
- Add chopped apples along with the little water that oozed out. Mix well to coat each bit.
- Once cooled, store it in an airtight container to use.
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Pickles
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Kerala
Keywords: green apple pickle kerala style, green apple achar, pickling apples, indian apple pickle, green apple pickle indian recipe, how to make green apple pickle, granny smith apple recipes