Pavakkai Fry or Bitter gourd fry is prepared by frying the marinated bitter gourd pieces in oil.
Benefits of Bitter Gourd:
Pavakkai/ Karela or Bitter Gourd is an extremely healthy vegetable. It is rich in iron, has high dietary fiber and contains twice the beta-carotine of broccoli and calcium of spinach or potassium of banana.
Bitter gourds also help in reducing the sugar levels and many doctors generally advice the diabetic patients to include this in their diet. But it is not recommended for pregnant ladies.
But we still loathe it with all our hearts. Why? Of course as the name suggests, it is bitter. Here, I’m going to tell you the tricks and tips to reduce the bitterness of bitter gourd.
[tweetthis]Tips and tricks to reduce the bitterness of Bitter Gourd[/tweetthis]
TIPS AND TRICKS:
- Wash the bitter gourd well. Pat dry.
- Scrape the rugged surface. Wait! Do not throw away the scrapings. You can add it to your paratha dough, for when mixed with dough the bitterness is a lot more reduced. I had left them on as my husband likes the bitterness.
- Remove the seeds. You can either slit the bitter gourd length-wise or cut then into thin rounds.
- This helps in easily removing the whites and seeds. Wash.
- If you’ve slit them length-wise before, slice them width-wise now, as thin as possible so that you get moon-shaped slices. This will help in frying them fast. Wash again. Pat dry.
- Add salt, mix well and keep aside for half an hour.
Recipe for Pavakkai Fry:
So, would you try it out this time?
18,539 total views, 9 views today