Chicken pieces are marinated in warm spices with a delicious coffee spiced rub which is then grilled turning it into a stunningly juicy, flavorful appetizer!
Whether it is Hammerhead, Long Black or a Latte Macchiato, if you love coffee there is a strong chance that is a fiery love. A savage love. The ‘I can’t live without you’ love. Trust me. This is coming from someone who recently went through an excruciating coffee detox. And I learned that there is no life without coffee. Warm weather be damned. Let winter come out of its hiding place. A hot cup of coffee is ideal for any and all good occasions. Ha! Bad too. I know, in some part of the world there are arguments on whether this glorious drink is good or bad for us and on how many cups can be consumed in a day. But does that really stop us from our undying love for coffee?
Coffee Spiced Chicken is really simple to prepare, quick and perfect as an appetizer. The key lies in the coffee rub and with only a handful of ingredients, the flavors shine through the chicken drumsticks.
Perfect when you’ve unexpected guests at home or those rushed weekdays when cooking becomes a chore. All you ought to do is marinate the chicken and freeze it over the weekend which enables you to whip this dish in under 15 minutes.
When I saw this recipe at one of my favorite food bloggers – The Spice Adventuress, a couple of years ago I knew I ought to try this. I, however, do not know why it took so much time for me to lay my hands on it. This time though, I knew it was International Coffee Day on October 1, and I remembered this recipe from her blog.
I have been following her blog since the time I started blogging at Kohl Eyed Me, then Tale of Two Tomatoes. She had given me all the help I needed for my blog to flourish. Also, she has graced this space with a stunning recipe – Stir-Fried Chicken with Lime Leaves.
1. 6 Chicken drumsticks (preferably)
2. 4 ½ tsp coffee spice rub
3. Salt, to season
4. Vegetable oil
5. Lemon wedges, to serve
6. , to serve
8. Yoghurt; beaten and spiced mildly with roasted cumin powder
Coffee Spice Rub:
1. 3 tsp ground coffee (I used Instant Nescafe powder)
2. 3 tsp salt
3. 3 tsp brown sugar
4. 4 tsp red chilli powder
5. 1 tsp black pepper
6. 1 tsp onion powder
7. 1 tsp garlic powder
8. 1 star anise, powdered
9. ½ tsp cayenne powder
10. ½ tsp turmeric powder
11. 1 tsp coriander powder
12. 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
1. To prepare the coffee spice rub, mix all the ingredients together and store in an airtight container.
2. Place the chicken drumsticks in a bowl or ziplock bag, add the spice rub and drizzle with vegetable oil (approx 2 -3 tbsp). Season with salt (remember the spice rub already has salt) and rub it all together and ensure the chicken has been coated well. Marinate for at least 6 hours, overnight is recommended.
3. Add oil in a pan and fry the marinated chicken legs. Remove and serve hot.
Like it? Pin it for later!
I am taking part in The Write Tribe Problogger October 2017 Blogging Challenge
7,142 total views, 1 views today