Soft, moist chocolate cake with indulgent Nutella, that is made in a microwave, all for yourself. Nutella Mug Cake is the perfect dish to satisfy your sweet cravings!
Mug cakes are a quick and easy way to indulge in your sweet cravings. Moreover, they are a lot of fun to prepare. If you haven’t prepared a mug cake yet, I am not sure what’s stopping you.
Take for example, this Nutella Mug Cake.
It’s a no fuss, no mess, 80-seconds-wait recipe with ingredients that are readily available in your pantry – flour, milk, baking powder, cocoa powder, egg, oil, and Nutella.
If you are looking for an eggless recipe, fret not. I have got you covered.
Everyone loves a decadent, indulgent chocolate recipe and when you have Nutella added to your dessert, it takes it to another level. Why I love this Nutella Mug Cake is, of course, the reasons I mentioned above but mostly because I needn’t wait for long hours baking, survive the cooling time of the cake, and also figure out the frosting. It truly is the answer to my baking prayers! #bestsolutionever
Why You Should Try This Nutella Mug Cake Recipe
- Easiest Dessert Ever! Period.
- Quickest! A decadent dessert in 2 minutes tops.
- Readily available ingredients from your pantry.
- Fuss-free and Mess-free! Add all the ingredients in a single mug. Mix and Bake.
- Worried about finishing that whole cake? This is a single serving dessert to satisfy your sweet cravings!
- Perfect dessert for last-minute party, a quiet wedding anniversary, or Valentine’s Day. Divide the batter into two ramekins or small mugs, or double the recipe.
I have made many mug cakes at home by trying out different recipes. Egg vs eggless, butter vs oil, chocolate vs cocoa powder, to name a few. Each yielded different results – from soggy to wet, to dry. I have also tried baking in different types of mugs and ramekins. And here’s what I found:
Tips to Make a Tasty Nutella Mug Cake
The Type of Mug Matters
Use a wide mouth mug for making mug cakes. The mug should also have some depth to it so that it gives some room for the batter to expand and rise. I have used two small mugs here as I wanted to make two separate cakes with the same amount of batter.
Egg Vs Eggless
I have made mug cakes without eggs, with a whole egg and with only the yolk. The latter turned out to be super soft, fluffy, and moist. Egg whites can make cakes dry, so use only the yolk. Remember to use eggs that are at room temperature and not straight from the refrigerator.
Each brand of microwave is different from each other. The microwave settings differ unlike baking in a convection oven or convection mode. So, stick to the timing as mentioned in a mug cake recipe. And if the cake is undone, continue to bake for short intervals until you get a clean toothpick when inserted in the center.
Ingredients for Making Nutella Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour: All-Purpose Flour is Maida and any brand is a-okay.
- 2 tablespoons Cocoa Powder: I use Hershey’s Cocoa Powder but you may use any. Other popular brands in India are Cadbury and Weikfield. The cost is almost the same for Hershey’s and Cadbury Cocoa Powder. So, make sure you use the best quality ingredients. Sift the cocoa powder before adding it to the mug cake to get a lump-free batter.
- 2 tablespoons Castor Sugar:
Can you use regular granulated sugar instead of Castor Sugar? The answer is no. In most cases, castor sugar can be substituted. However, since we are baking in a microwave for a short period of time, the granulated sugar will not melt and you’ll find then in each bite of cake. That said, you may use powdered sugar as a substitute.
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder: The most common and popular brand of Baking powder is Weikfield and you may please use the same.
- 2 teaspoons Vegetable Oil: I use Saffola Cooking Oil. Make sure you do not use flavored oils like sunflower oil, groundnut oil, olive oil, coconut oil, or sesame oil.
- 3 tablespoons Milk: You may use regular boiled milk at room temperature. If you prefer, you may substitute with toned milk, almond milk or soy milk, but the taste may vary.
- 1 large Egg yolk
- 2 tablespoon Nutella
Nutella Mug Cake Recipe – With Egg and EgglessPrint
Did you make this recipe?
Tag me on Instagram @somethingis_cooking
Don’t miss out on any new updates.
Subscribe to my blog (find the subscription box below and on top of the website).
Share and connect with me on social media.
Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest | YouTube