Orange Chicken is a sweet and tangy citrus chicken recipe where crispy battered chicken is tossed in a delicious sticky sauce.
Hello February! It's my favorite month of the year and we started off with a bang, celebrating our 7th wedding anniversary. It was a simple just-another-day in our lives, but I tried to spice it up with a candlelight dinner. One of the dishes for the anniversary dinner was this Orange Chicken. The husband loved the tangy citrusy flavor and I thought I should definitely share this recipe with you as well.
I wasn't sure how this dish would turn out - let me be honest. But I decided to give it go for it required only minimal ingredients and it was probably one of the easiest Chinese chicken recipes I've ever seen. Chinese chicken is my go-to on a dull day and believe me, I can live my whole life eating only Chinese. Ah, those succulent bite-sized chicken pieces in a finger-licking-good sauce! Bliss!
Find other Chinese recipes here.
I'm not sure if Orange Chicken is a popular dish here in India, because I rarely find it in a restaurant menu. The few times I did, I have had it and loved it. Orange Chicken is popular in U.S. and U.K. and is a much-loved takeaway option. But what better than a homemade Chinese chicken without artificial flavors and MSG?
Here's what you'll need to prepare Orange Chicken
- Boneless chicken - you may use chicken thighs as well. The cubed chicken is coated in a batter made of cornflour, egg, garlic, salt and pepper, and water. These are crispy fried in batches, removed and set aside.
- Citrusy Sauce - A sauce is prepared by mixing together some orange juice, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, salt, pepper, orange zest, sugar, and rice vinegar. The sauce is set to boil before adding the fried chicken and green onions.
Orange Chicken RecipePrint
Chinese Orange Chicken Recipe
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 persons 1x
Bite-sized succulent chicken chunks served in a tangy delicious orange sauce!
- 250 gms boneless chicken, cubed
- Oil, to deep fry
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Orange juice (fresh or processed)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp chilli sauce
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- Prepare the batter. Dip the chicken cubes in the batter and deep fry in hot oil. Remove and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the ingredients for the Sauce.
- Heat a wok and add a tablespoon of oil. Add the sauce mix and bring it to a boil.
- Add the batter-fried chicken and mix well. Cook for a couple of minutes until the sauce is coated well.
- Garnish with spring onion greens and sesame seeds and serve hot with rice.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: Chinese
Love this recipe? You may Pin this for later!
Tag me on Instagram @somethingis_cooking
Don’t miss out on any new updates.
Subscribe to my blog (find the subscription box below and on top of the website).
Share and connect with me on social media.
Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest | YouTube
OMG! This looks so amazing. Even the color has come out so well. YOur food photography will make me die of craving. Thank you for the recipe.
Debbie D. says
I love orange chicken! Your presentation looks delicious. Added to Pinterest. Thanks for sharing!
Oh yum this looks so good! The recipe is fairly easy too.
Happy anniversary to P and you, Shalini! I'm glad you guys had a fab time.