Kadachakka Bajji or Breadfruit Fritters is a popular South Indian teatime snack made by batter-fried breadfruit slices. These are delicious and can be easily prepared at home.
Breadfruit, known as Kadachakka or Cheemachakka in Malayalam is a common plant in most households of the Konkan coastal region. We have quite a few huge breadfruit trees in our home that bears beautiful tasty breadfruits. Breadfruit is a seasonal fruit and it belongs to the jackfruit family.
Kadachakka Bajji is
- nutritious and delicious
- perfect teatime snack
- easy to make at home
- perfect for rainy days
How to Eat Breadfruit
Breadfruit can be eaten raw when ripe and cooked when unripe. It can be cooked by pan-frying, deep-frying, or steaming. One needs to peel off the green outer skin and the white flesh which has a bread-like texture can be consumed. It is a starchy food like potato and its flavor resembles somewhat like an artichoke or chestnut.
Many different varieties of dishes can be made with breadfruit- be it a stir fry (Mezhukkupuratti or Thoran), or a savory curry. And breadfruit fritters is a popular dish that is easy to prepare and is/will be loved by one and all.
How to Peel Breadfruit
To peel the breadfruit, cut off the tough green spiky skin with the help of a knife. Most breadfruits are seedless. If you have breadfruit with seeds, remove them.
Cut the breadfruit in half, lengthwise. Cut each half again into four equal wedges. Remove the center portion of each wedge with the help of a knife. This center portion has large pores and is fibrous like that of a pineapple.
Now you may chop the wedges into slices or cubes as required.
How to Make Breadfruit Bajji
- To make breadfruit fritters, slice the breadfruit wedges into a quarter inch triangles. Wash these slices well and pat dry.
- Marinate the breadfruit slices with salt, red chili powder, and turmeric powder.
- Steam the marinated slices for about 5-8 minutes in a cooking steamer. You may also cook the slices in a pressure cooker for a single whistle or microwave for about two and a half minutes. Remove and allow it to cool completely.
- Let’s make the batter for making fritters. In a bowl, add gram flour (kadala maavu/besan), rice flour, chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, asafoetida (kaayam/hing), carom seeds (omam/ajwain), baking soda, and water. I also added some crushed dried fenugreek or kasturi methi for added flavor.
The batter shouldn’t be too runny or too thick. It should coat the breadfruit slices just right.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Dip each slice in the batter and deep fry in hot oil. Keep the oil in medium-high and keep flipping the breadfruit slices to cook both sides evenly. Cook until golden brown.
- Remove and serve warm with ketchup or chutney.
Kadachakka Bajji RecipePrint
✨Try these out next! ✨
Like this recipe? Pin it!