Mayo Chicken Sandwich is a quick and easy-to-make cold chicken sandwich that is perfect for summer picnics for taking on the go. If you have some leftover rotisserie chicken, this sandwich can be prepared in less than 15 minutes.
Sandwiches are one of the easiest recipes you can make and it is loved by kids and adults alike. Be it for tea sandwiches to be consumed at afternoon tea time, or taking on the go, to be packed in the picnic basket for a trip to the park, or as your kid's lunchbox food, sandwiches are versatile.
You can also serve it at luncheons and baby/bridal showers too.
Here is such a recipe for a cold chicken sandwich that can be made in under 10 minutes if you have all the ingredients in handy. What makes it even more interesting is that these mayo chicken sandwiches can also be made ahead.
Mayo Chicken Sandwich is
- easy to make
- loved by kids and adults alike
- perfect for summer picnics
- ideal as a kids lunchbox meal
- can be served as an afternoon tea sandwich
🍞Ingredients You'll Need
All you need for this mayo chicken sandwich is to make the filling by combining together some mayo, cream, mixed herbs and seasonings, and prep the slices of bread. Assemble everything with sauces, lettuce, and filling and you are done!
🥪How to Make Leftover Rotisserie Chicken Sandwich
- To make Cold Chicken Sandwich, you need slices of sandwich bread. Trim the edges off and keep them aside.
- Let's prepare the filling next. Shred some leftover rotisserie chicken. If you do not have leftover roast chicken, follow the below steps.
- Wash, clean, and pound about 250gms of chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle salt and crushed pepper onto them and coat well.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the chicken breasts. Flip and cook on both sides. It will take about 7-10 minutes.
- Remove and shred using a fork. You may also add the cooked chicken to a blender to get shredded chicken. However, cool the chicken before adding it to the blender.
How to Make Mayo Chicken Spread
- Let's make the filling next. In a bowl, add mayonnaise, cream, minced garlic, mixed herbs, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the shredded chicken and combine well.
- To assemble the chicken sandwich, spread butter on a slice of bread followed by some ketchup.
- Top it with some chopped lettuce.
- Spread the mayo chicken filling and place another slice of bread over the top to cover.
- Cut diagonally to form triangles.
- You may cut again to form smaller triangles to serve as cocktail appetizers. Enjoy!
If you enjoyed this video, please subscribe to Youtube Channel and click the bell icon so you’ll be the first to know when I post a new video. THANK YOU for subscribing!
The best part about this sandwich is that it can be made ahead. I'd suggest making the filling ahead of serving and store closed in a container, in the refrigerator. However, please note:
- Assemble only just before serving. Else, the sandwiches will turn soggy.
- Any leftover filling can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- If you absolutely do not have the time and need to prep ahead, toast the bread first to prevent soggy sandwiches. Toasting dries out the bread and prevents soaking up the moisture from the filling. This way, you can prep the sandwiches ahead of serving.
🔪Variations You Can Make
- You may change up the sandwich toppings or filling as mentioned below in the FAQ section.
- This recipe usually calls for fresh, soft bread slices. But you may make a grilled Mayo Chicken Sandwich by grilling the sandwiches once assembled, in a grill pan or sandwich griller.
- The filling can also be served as a dip with chips or cucumber! Ever done that? It is delish!
- Or else, ditch the bread altogether. Wrap the filling in hearty greens like lettuce, chard, kale, or collard instead.
🥗What to Serve with Cold Chicken Sandwich
- Fruit salad is a great side for sandwiches. It will excite the kids and is perfect when you pack the sandwich for school.
- Soups and sandwiches are a classic combo. Serve a bowl of tomato soup or a hearty chili.
- Chips are another great side for cold sandwiches. Simply serve a packet of chips, baked potato wedges, or sweet potato fries along with the sandwich,
- Coleslaw and Hummus are other great options as a side.
📋Mayo Chicken Sandwich RecipePrint
Of course, you may. You can add chopped olives, pickled jalapenos, or sun-dried tomatoes for added zing. This sandwich is otherwise loaded with mayo and cream. Another option is to play around with hot sauces. Add your favorite sauce like Sriracha sauce, Tabasco sauce, or Schezwan sauce to the mayo for added heat.
I used the regular sandwich bread for this recipe. You can also use focaccia bread, ciabatta bread, or french bread.
I trimmed off the edges of the sandwich bread and since it is a cold chicken sandwich, I never pan-grilled the sandwiches. That said, always use fresh, soft bread.
You can grill the sandwiches once assembled in a grill pan or sandwich griller.
Absolutely! In fact, I would recommend it with all my heart. In fact, whenever I prepare Whole Chicken Roast, I end up with leftovers, especially the breast pieces. These often go inside my sandwiches or quesadillas because we do not like to consume the leftover rotisserie chicken in the same form.
Shred these up, add to the sauce, and spread on a piece of bread and you are good to go.
Further, you can also use leftover turkey from Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner as well.
✨Try these out next! ✨
Like this recipe? Pin it!
Tag me on Instagram @somethingis_cooking
Don’t miss out on any new updates.
Subscribe to my blog (find the subscription box below and on top of the website).
Share and connect with me on social media.
Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest | YouTube