Aloo Tikki in Air Fryer and Stovetop
Aloo Tikki is a popular Indian street food made with boiled potatoes, aromatic spices, and herbs. These fried potato croquettes/patties or cutlets are usually deep-fried or shallow-fried in lots of oil, making it crispy and crunchy.
⚡Here I have shown How to Make Aloo Tikki using two methods - Stovetop and in an Air Fryer⚡
I have been humming 'Everything I Do' by Bryan Adams all day long. His husky throaty voice was a class apart and the teen me was crazy about his songs. My taste in music might have changed over the years but there are songs like these that plummets me back to the good ol' days!
Coming to the recipe..
What is Aloo Tikki?
Aloo Tikki can be literally translated to Potato (Aloo) Patties (Tikki). They are crispy and crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. It is often made two ways - Aloo Tikki with and without stuffing. The stuffing could be boiled chana dal (split Bengal gram), green peas, or paneer sauteed with spices.
Aloo Tikkis are
- crispy and crunchy
- perfect as a teatime snack
- made as a side with rotis
- easy to make at home
- can be adapted to make different dishes like chaats, burgers, or wraps
- can be made with leftover mashed potatoes
- can be made on a stovetop, baked in a microwave, as well as in an air fryer
- vegan, glutenfree and soyfree
Crispy Aloo Tikki Variations
There are many ways that you can enjoy Aloo Tikkis.
- You may enjoy the tikkis as it is with some ketchup as a teatime snack.
- Pour in chutneys on top and chilled curd, and garnish with nylon sev, a sprinkle of chaat masala, and red chili powder to turn these regular patties into delicious Delhi Streetfood Style Aloo Tikki Chaat. There are two types of chutneys that go into making the chaat - Imli Chutney made with tamarind pulp and dates(or jaggery), and Mint Chutney made with mint, coriander leaves, and hung curd.
- Further, add in Ragada (White Peas Curry) to prepare Mumbai Style Aloo Tikki Chaat.
- You may also use these potato cutlets to make Aloo Tikki Burger, which is another popular street food in India.
- What more! Make Aloo Tikki Wraps, Frankie, or Kathi Rolls by adding the potato patties into tortillas or rotis.
Yup, so many options! Go crazy with your imagination!
👉 Would you like the recipe for making Aloo Tikki Chaat? Let me know in the comments!
Punjabi Aloo Tikki Ingredients
Potatoes: To make Aloo Tikki, we need some boiled potatoes. You can boil them on a stovetop, in a pressure cooker, or in an instant pot.
Other ingredients include finely chopped ginger, green chilies, and fresh coriander leaves.
The spice powders we use are red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, and chaat masala. You may also use red chili flakes. Adjust the amount of red chili powder, red chili flakes, and green chilies to suit your taste. Skip one or two or entirely if you are making this recipe for kids.
- Quick Tip: If you have some time in hand, dry roast a teaspoon each of cumin seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, and black peppercorns. Once cooled, powder these spices to add to the boiled potatoes instead of the spice powders. This will make the tikkis even more flavorful. This tip was shared by one of my favorite chefs in the world, Chef Ranveer Brar. This will make a typical Lucknowi Style Aloo Tikki.
Binding agent: We use cornflour as the binding agent. It also makes the tikkis crispy. If you do not have corn flour, you may use breadcrumbs, besan (gram flour), arrowroot powder, poha (flattened rice), or rice flour.
You many use ghee or oil for frying the tikkis. Do not forget to season the mixture with salt.
Filling/Stuffing: If you are making Stuffed Aloo Tikki with filling, you may make a mixture with lentils, preferably chana dal. You may also use green peas.
Is Aloo Tikki Gluten Free?
Yes, this is a gluten-free recipe. For binding the potato patty mixture, I have used corn flour which is gluten-free. Therefore, it is suitable for someone who is gluten intolerant.
How Can I Adapt This Recipe For Vrat/Fasting?
You may use the same recipe for vrat or fasting days. Skip the cornflour/breadcrumbs/rice flour and poha and use Tapioca flour or singada flour for binding.
Stuffed Aloo Tikki Recipe:
To make the stuffing for Aloo Tikki, pressure cook chana dal. If you are using frozen green peas, steam them. Once the dal and peas are cooled slightly, mash them.
Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Add ginger paste, mashed potatoes and green peas, green chilies, and season with some salt. Add red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, and chaat masala. Mix well and let it cook for a couple of minutes. Remove and let it cool down.
This is an easy vegetarian stuffing for the patties. You may also use fried paneer cubes, and dry fruits for the filling.
Easy Aloo Tikki Recipe
- To make aloo tikki, boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker/instant pot/ on a stovetop. Let it cool. You may refrigerate for 2-3 hours before using it for the recipe.
- Once cooled, peel and mash the potatoes. I prefer grating the potatoes as it will result in a smooth lump-free mixture.
- Add finely chopped ginger, green chilies, and fresh coriander leaves along with red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, and cornflour. Season with salt.
- Mix well to form a dough.
- To make aloo tikki, divide the mixture into equal-sized balls. Aloo Tikki is usually a bit larger than regular cutlets. But you may also make smaller tikkis.
- Grease the palm of your hands with a little oil. Press the tikki to make it flat. Repeat the process. If you are making stuffed patties, make a hollow center in each of the balls and place the filling. Bring together the edges, roll between your palms, and flatten.
Crispy Aloo Tikki Recipe
Aloo Tikki - Stovetop Method:
- To make aloo tikki on a stovetop, heat oil in a pan, preferably a non-stick pan or cast-iron skillet.
- Place the tikkis one by one into the pan. Fry in medium heat and once the base turns golden, flip and cook the other side.
Aloo Tikki in Air Fryer
Aloo Tikki in Air Fryer is a healthier option when compared to the stovetop method. It consumes far less oil and the air fryer Aloo Tikki is super crispy too. It is less messy and can make for a quick snack.
- To make aloo tikki in an air fryer, preheat the air fryer at 200 C or 390 F for 5 minutes. Grease the air fryer basket with oil or ghee. You may also choose to use a cooking spray.
- Arrange the tikkis in the basket in a single layer and brush them with oil.
- Air fry for about 8 minutes.
- Once done, flip the patties, and brush with a little more oil. Cook for about 6 more minutes.
- Remove and serve hot with ketchup or any chutney of your choice.
If you prefer to store the patties for later use, you can freeze them.
- Shape the dough into tikkis and place them in a tray or flat bottomed plate. Freeze it for an hour or so.
- Remove and transfer to ziplock bags to freeze.
- When needed, thaw the tikkis, and fry in oil, bake, or air fry.
Tips and Tricks for Making the Best Aloo Tikki
- Boil the potatoes only until just tender. Do not overboil them, or else they would turn pasty.
- Refrigerate the boiled potatoes for 2-3 hours before using them for the recipe. This is an essential step! The binding agent like cornflour should only be added to cooled potatoes else it will result in a mushy mixture.
- I prefer grating the potatoes rather than mashing them as it will result in a smooth lump-free mixture.
- Add breadcrumbs if you find the dough mixture too sticky. About two tablespoons will be enough.
- Once you flatten the mixture to form patties, make sure that there aren't any cracked edges. If so, roll slightly to even it out.
- You may either deep fry or shallow fry the tikkis. However, shallow frying ensures crispier patties. Do a heat test by dropping a pinch of the mixture in hot oil. If the mixture rises to the top, the oil is hot enough for frying.
- Do not disturb the tikkis until it is cooked on one side. It could take about 5 minutes. If you try to flip the patties before they turn golden at the base, they will break.
- Never cook them on high heat. Else they will burn from outside while remaining uncooked from the inside. Frying them on medium-low heat would be ideal.
- This recipe makes 6 large tikkis. You may also make 9 medium-sized tikkis.
- You may use ghee or oil to make these patties. Avoid any flavored oil though.
- Reduce the amount of heat in the patties and you can serve this as a lunchbox food for your kids or evening tea time snack. Sneak in some coarsely ground sweet corn, finely chopped carrots, or broccoli too for the fussy eaters.
Air Fryer Aloo Tikki RecipePrint
➡️ Here's another Indian Chaat Recipe: Pani Puri
Love Easy Tikki Recipes? Try these out next!
Aloo Tikki in Air Fryer
Like this recipe? Pin it!
I'm participating in #AtoZChallenge and #BlogchatterAtoZ where I'll be sharing 26 Easy Recipes with you this April. I'm dedicating this post to the amazing community members who helped me figure out this theme for the challenge. Thank you!