Vegetable Egg Drop Soup is an easy and healthy soup that can be prepared quickly. It is a perfect dinner recipe and you can sip on this delicious soup on a cold winter evening.
Chinese Egg Drop Soup can be made in no time. Once you have all the ingredients in place, this soup can be made in under ten minutes. You may add any other protein of your choice too, like chicken, beef, or prawns.
What is Egg Drop Soup?
The name Egg Drop comes from the method of making this soup- dropping beaten eggs into the hot soup. It is also called Egg Flower Soup, maybe because the soup has delicate ribbons or swirls of eggs.
Why Should You Opt For Homemade Egg Drop Soup?
Making Egg Drop Soup at home is fairly easy. Once you start preparing this soup at home, you’d give the restaurant soups a miss. I love homemade soups any day for I’d be sure of the ingredients I add to the recipe. The soup would be devoid of any artificial flavors like MSG.
You may make chicken or vegetable broth at home, or use store-bought organic broth for making this recipe.
Egg Drop Soup is
- quick and easy to make and it comes together in under 10 minutes!
- made with regular pantry ingredients
- You may add any protein of your choice- chicken, beef, or prawns
- You may also sneak in some veggies too- sweet corn, beans, carrots, or peas
- can be made ahead and stored in refrigerated to be reheated for future use
Ingredients for Making Vegetable Egg Drop Soup
- Eggs: Use large, fresh eggs
- Veggies: You may use finely chopped onions and/or carrots, peas, sweet corn
- Stock: Use homemade or store-bought chicken or vegetable broth
- Seasonings: Finely chopped garlic, white or black pepper powder, Salt
- Corn Starch: Mix cornflour with water to make a slurry
- Oil: Sesame oil gives the authentic Chinese takeout flavor
Making Egg Drop Soup
- Heat 2 liters of water in a saucepan.
- Prep the veggies you want to add to the soup. I have finely chopped some garlic, onions, carrots, and spring onion greens.
- Add the prepped veggies to the boiling water.
- Add salt and pepper powder. Mix well and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
- It’s time to add the chicken broth. You may use store-bought or homemade chicken stock.
- Make a slurry by mixing 1/8 cup of cornflour with water. Add it to the soup. Let it cook for two more minutes.
- Crack open two eggs in a bowl.
- Beat the eggs to mix the yolk and white well.
- Stir the boiling soup and slowly pour/drop the beaten to the mixture while stirring continuously in one direction.
- This creates thin strands or ribbons of eggs in the soup. Stir for about 30 seconds till the eggs are cooked. Drizzle a little sesame oil and mix well.
- Garnish with spring onion greens and serve hot.
You may store the leftovers in an airtight container to be refrigerated for up to 3 days. You may therefore, prepare the soup in advance and reheat as per use.
More Takeout Recipes:
Vegetable Egg Drop SoupPrint
Like this recipe? Pin it!
I’m participating in #AtoZChallenge and #BlogchatterAtoZ where I’ll be sharing 26 Easy Recipes with you this April. I’m dedicating the posts to the amazing community members who helped me figure out this theme for the challenge. Thank you!