Vegetable Egg Drop Soup is an easy and healthy soup that can be prepared quickly. It is a perfect dinner recipe and you can sip on this delicious soup on a cold winter evening.
Chinese Egg Drop Soup can be made in no time. Once you have all the ingredients in place, this soup can be made in under ten minutes. You may add any other protein of your choice too, like chicken, beef, or prawns.
What is Egg Drop Soup?
The name Egg Drop comes from the method of making this soup- dropping beaten eggs into the hot soup. It is also called Egg Flower Soup, maybe because the soup has delicate ribbons or swirls of eggs.
Why Should You Opt For Homemade Egg Drop Soup?
Making Egg Drop Soup at home is fairly easy. Once you start preparing this soup at home, you'd give the restaurant soups a miss. I love homemade soups any day for I'd be sure of the ingredients I add to the recipe. The soup would be devoid of any artificial flavors like MSG.
You may make chicken or vegetable broth at home, or use store-bought organic broth for making this recipe.
Egg Drop Soup is
- quick and easy to make and it comes together in under 10 minutes!
- made with regular pantry ingredients
- You may add any protein of your choice- chicken, beef, or prawns
- You may also sneak in some veggies too- sweet corn, beans, carrots, or peas
- can be made ahead and stored in refrigerated to be reheated for future use
Ingredients for Making Vegetable Egg Drop Soup
- Eggs: Use large, fresh eggs
- Veggies: You may use finely chopped onions and/or carrots, peas, sweet corn
- Stock: Use homemade or store-bought chicken or vegetable broth
- Seasonings: Finely chopped garlic, white or black pepper powder, Salt
- Corn Starch: Mix cornflour with water to make a slurry
- Oil: Sesame oil gives the authentic Chinese takeout flavor
Making Egg Drop Soup
- Heat 2 liters of water in a saucepan.
- Prep the veggies you want to add to the soup. I have finely chopped some garlic, onions, carrots, and spring onion greens.
- Add the prepped veggies to the boiling water.
- Add salt and pepper powder. Mix well and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
- It's time to add the chicken broth. You may use store-bought or homemade chicken stock.
- Make a slurry by mixing ⅛ cup of cornflour with water. Add it to the soup. Let it cook for two more minutes.
- Crack open two eggs in a bowl.
- Beat the eggs to mix the yolk and white well.
- Stir the boiling soup and slowly pour/drop the beaten to the mixture while stirring continuously in one direction.
- This creates thin strands or ribbons of eggs in the soup. Stir for about 30 seconds till the eggs are cooked. Drizzle a little sesame oil and mix well.
- Garnish with spring onion greens and serve hot.
You may store the leftovers in an airtight container to be refrigerated for up to 3 days. You may therefore, prepare the soup in advance and reheat as per use.
More Takeout Recipes:
Vegetable Egg Drop SoupPrint
Egg Drop Soup
- Total Time: 17 mins
- Yield: 6 persons 1x
Egg Drop Soup is an easy and healthy soup that can be prepared easily and quickly.
2 large Eggs
2 liters Water
2 tbsp Garlic, finely chopped
1 medium Onion, finely chopped
1 medium Carrot, finely chopped
3 tbsp Spring Onion Greens, finely chopped
Salt, to taste
½ tsp White/Black Pepper powder
1 cube Chicken Broth
⅛ cup Cornflour + ⅛ cup Water (for slurry)
1 tsp Sesame Oil
Spring Onion Greens, for garnish
Heat 2 liters of water in a saucepan.
Prep the veggies you want to add to the soup. I have finely chopped some garlic, onions, carrots, and spring onion greens.
Add the prepped veggies to the boiling water.
Add salt and pepper powder. Mix well and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
It's time to add the chicken broth. You may use store-bought or homemade chicken stock.
Make a slurry by mixing ⅛ cup of cornflour with water. Add it to the soup. Let it cook for two more minutes.
Crack open two eggs in a bowl.
Beat the eggs to mix the yolk and white well.
Stir the boiling soup and slowly pour/drop the beaten to the mixture while stirring continuously in one direction.
This creates thin strands or ribbons of eggs in the soup. Stir for about 30 seconds till the eggs are cooked. Drizzle a little sesame oil and mix well.
Garnish with spring onion greens and serve hot.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 7 mins
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Vegetable Egg Drop Soup Indian, chinese egg drop soup recipe
➡️ Sweet Corn Chicken Soup Recipe
Like this recipe? Pin it!
I'm participating in #AtoZChallenge and #BlogchatterAtoZ where I'll be sharing 26 Easy Recipes with you this April. I'm dedicating the posts to the amazing community members who helped me figure out this theme for the challenge. Thank you!
Chinmayee Gayatree Sahu says
Thank you for sharing this recipe. If one has a cold or feels dull, this soup can revive energy. Lovely presentation.
Dipika Singh says
I recently found my love for soups,and this looks absolutely beautiful. I would love to learn how to make chicken broth at home too someday from you.
Lauren Vavala says
This egg drop soup recipe is so light and delicious. I love it in the spring for lunch!
Egg drop soup is one of those classic take-out dishes! This recipe makes it easy enough to make at home!
Emily Liao says
This is definitely an absolute favorite now! Loved how easy this was as well.
This was such a comforting and cozy soup -- made it for my kids and they really enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing.
This recipe is definitely going to be a hit here! My hubby and I are really going to enjoy this soup! Definitely making it again soon!
Egg drop soup is my oldest daughter's favorite meal. She makes it all the time. You are so right that it is quick and easy. Definitely something that can be made at home.
Fabida Abdulla says
Love this recipe! I love egg drop soups and have always thought they were too difficult to make - gotta try this!
Mayuri Nidigallu says
This is my husband's favorite and thanks to your recipe I can now make it for him. You soup looks as beautiful as a lace doily .
Those swirls look so lovely, I'm tempted to try out this soup soon! Don't we need to any butter or any more spices to it?
Aesha Shah says
Just what I needed for my post workout meal. Thanks, Shalini.
Pratibha P says
I already want this! Like right now!
Suchita Agarwal says
I love how easily you have explained everything. Also though there's no winter, I will switch on the AC while enjoying this soup 😀
Deepika Sharma says
That's one protein packed soup. So awesome. I hope mine looks half as good as your.
Deborah Weber says
I love simple recipes and this one looks delicious. I'll certainly be making it. The name Egg Flower Soup delights me and that's what I'll be calling it when I serve it.
Tina Basu says
this is an absolute favorite in my family. It's like a must-have specially during winters. So good to see this one.