Drums of Heaven Recipe
Drums of Heaven are chicken lollipops tossed in a sweet and spicy sauce. It is a popular appetizer in restaurants but you can easily make these at home.
Chicken Lollipop and Drums of Heaven are my favorite appetizer to order in a restaurant. They are crispy and crunchy on the outside and juicy soft on the inside. Further, it is fun to eat them, don't you think?
Drums of Heaven are also a great addition to a get-together menu or potluck parties. The restaurant-style chicken lollipop can easily be replicated at home and I am going to show you how.
Chicken lollipops are made with chicken wings. It can also be made with drumstick legs.
Drums of Heaven are
- perfect party appetizer
- crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside
- easily be made at home
- can be made in a stovetop, oven, or air fryer
- absolutely delicious
- can be made in under 30 minutes
Chicken Lollipop and Drums of Heaven
What is the difference between chicken lollipop and drumstick?
Chicken lollipops are frenched chicken winglets wherein the meat is cut from the bone end of a chicken wing, pulled down to the other end creating a lollipop pretense. These lollipops are then batter fried till crisp golden.
When chicken lollipops are stir-fried and coated with a sweet and spicy sauce, it is transformed to Drums of Heaven.
How do you make wings out of lollipop?
You can use either drummettes or whole chicken wings for making lollipops. Frenching the chicken drumsticks may seem like a strenuous job for a novice. But you may choose to use readymade frenched winglets or chicken lollipops that are available in the frozen section of any supermarket. If not, I'd suggest you make lollipops with drummettes first as it is fairly easy to handle.
Drums of Heaven are popular because of their crispy outside and juicy inside texture. This comes with the two marinades we use for making drums of heaven. They soak up all the flavors and sauces and make the chicken tender.
I always thought making chicken lollipops at home is a Herculean task. But if you have readymade lollipops in hand this recipe can be made in under 30 minutes. Once you start making Drums of Heaven at Home you will not order a takeaway ever again. It is that simple and delicious!
The homemade chicken lollipops are free of artificial colors and ingredients like MSG.
Chicken Lollipop At Home
- Wash and clean the lollipop pieces.
- For the first marination, mix together soy sauce, red chili powder, tomato ketchup, garlic powder or minced garlic, chili vinegar, and salt.
- Add the lollipop pieces and marinate well. Keep aside for about an hour.
- To this, add the second marinade. Add all-purpose flour/maida, cornflour, rice flour, garlic paste, and egg.
- Mix well without any lumps.
- Heat a pan and add oil. Place the marinated chicken lollipops to the oil, bone on top as shown in image 6. The chicken lollipop is ready.
Chicken Lollipop Sauce
- To make the sauce, add finely chopped garlic, onions, and green chilies in oil.
- Mix well and add schezwan sauce, soy sauce, tomato ketchup, and sugar.
- Combine the sauces well and let them cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add cornflour slurry and mix well.
- Add fried chicken lollipops and stir in well.
- Drums of Heaven is ready.
Tips and Tricks to Make Crispy Drums of Heaven
- The addition of rice flour makes the chicken lollipops crispy.
- Serve immediately once you add the batter-fried lollipop pieces to the sauce. Else the lollipop pieces will soak up the sauce and turn mushy.
- After the two marinations, there is a chance that the lollipop may lose its shape. Make sure that you reshape the lollipops before frying them in oil.
- Place the pieces bone side up while adding them first to the oil. You may flip the pieces bone-side down later. This ensures that the brittle bones are not burnt.
- Fry only a few lollipop pieces at once. Do not overcrowd the pan.
How to Serve Chicken Lollipops
- Serve Chicken Lollipops with Schezwan Sauce. You may use storeboughtSchezwan sauce or easily make it at home. Do you want me to share an easy recipe for the sauce? Let me know in the comments.
- How do you eat Chicken Lollipop? Serve Chicken lollipops as an appetizer or with Veg Chowmein, Chicken Fried Rice, Nasi Goreng, Thai Fried Rice, or Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
- If you are making a lollipop from scratch, you may freeze the meat in the refrigerator.
- I wouldn't recommend storing the cooked Drums of Heaven in the refrigerator as the lollipop pieces will turn mushy after being coated with the sauce.
- You may prepare the sauce in advance and then use it for future use.
- The sauce can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to a week.
Drums of Heaven RecipePrint
Drums of Heaven
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 persons 1x
Drums of Heaven are chicken lollipops tossed in a sweet and spicy sauce. It is a popular appetizer in restaurants and can be easily made at home.
12 Chicken Lollipop pieces
3 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
1 tbsp Chili Vinegar
1 tsp Minced Garlic or Garlic Powder
Salt, to taste
2 tbsp All-Purpose Flour or Maida
2 tbsp Corn Flour
1 tbsp Rice Flour
1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
For the Sauce:
2 tbsp Oil
1 tbsp Garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp Green Chilies, finely chopped
¼ cup Onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp Schezwan Sauce
1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
1 tsp Sugar
3 tbsp Cornflour Slurry
Oil, for frying
Spring Onion Greens, for garnish
Wash and clean the lollipop pieces.
For the first marination, mix together soy sauce, red chili powder, tomato ketchup, garlic powder or minced garlic, chili vinegar, and salt.
Add the lollipop pieces and marinate well. Keep aside for about an hour.
To this, add the second marinade. Add all-purpose flour/maida, cornflour, rice flour, garlic paste, and egg.
Mix well without any lumps.
Heat a pan and add oil. Place the marinated chicken lollipops to the oil, bone on top as shown in image 6. The chicken lollipop is ready.
To make the sauce, add finely chopped garlic, onions, and green chilies in oil.
Mix well and add schezwan sauce, soy sauce, tomato ketchup, and sugar.
Combine the sauces well and let them cook for a couple of minutes.
Add cornflour slurry and mix well.
Add fried chicken lollipops and stir in well.
Drums of Heaven is ready.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Drums of Heaven Recipe, Chicken Lollipop Sauce, Chicken Lollipop vs Drums of Heaven
Drums of Heaven
➡️ Learn How to Make Chilli Chicken
Looking for more appetizers? Try these out next!
Like this recipe? Pin it!
I'm participating in #AtoZChallenge and #BlogchatterAtoZ where I'll be sharing 26 Easy Recipes with you this April. I'm dedicating the posts to the amazing community members who helped me figure out this theme for the challenge. Thank you!
Chinmayee Gayatree Sahu says
I myself don't eat chicken but I am sure it's a delight for chicken lovers.
I love drums.of heaven! Thanks for the recipe. I think I'd like a recipe for Sechzuan sauce - I'm not very find of store bought sauces.
Harshita Nanda says
I had no clue they were so easy to make, thank you so much for this.
BTW could u tell how to do it in the air fryer?
Pratibha P says
I am bookmarking this recipe for the boys!
Holly Jahangiri says
Looks delicious! I love Buffalo Wings, but these are a whole new level... I've never made either one from scratch, and now I may have to try.
Mayuri Nidigallu says
I have eaten these at restaurants, and had no idea they were this easy to make! Drooling over your pics!
Tina Basu says
wow this looks so appetizing. so making this one on a rainy day!!
Thank you so much for this recipe. I will be printing this one as soon as finish commenting here. My children love it and they will be delighted. Loved your presentation as always
Srivalli Rekha says
I'm a vegetarian, but these sure look good. Like the ones on the TV.
Funny I made these on Saturday for a birthday celebration at home and the kids just gobbled them down!